Mechanical Design Engineer
Ref: AH/ 2000236
Based in Cambridgeshire, our client is a world leader in industrial print systems development, and their technology is used worldwide in a wide range of print applications.
The company designs and manufactures industrial inkjet printheads for sale to printer manufacturers who then sell to a variety of different markets ie wide-format graphics (banners), ceramic tiles and labels.
The printheads are complex and incorporate a variety of disciplines within the R&D department: mechanical, electronics, fluid dynamics, inks & materials.
This role is responsible for designing the mechanical components that, along with electronics, will be assembled to produce a printhead in our client's world-class manufacturing.
Purpose of Role
- To work as part of the product development team with specific responsibility for mechanical, functional and industrial design of the individual components and assemblies of the printhead. The role covers the entire lifecycle of the product from initial concept through design, validation, field trials and release into production.
- To provide technical leadership within the mechanical design function by designing product and being a catalyst for developing design skills, tools and techniques within R&D.
- Understand the requirements and design mechanical elements and generate innovative and functional design concepts
- Lead the development of new components, assemblies and systems
- Work in partnership with suppliers to ensure that components and assemblies can be manufactured by them to the dimensions and tolerances required
- Take responsibility for keeping the company up-to-date in matters of mechanical design and design for manufacturing
- To be regarded by peers as a specialist whose knowledge can be trusted with a high degree of confidence
- Ensuring knowledge is captured and transferred via creation of design guidelines and standards
- Deadlines need to be agreed and held
Key Internal Relationships
- Mechanical / Test Engineers within R&D
- Manufacturing Product / Process Engineering
- R&D Functional / Project Management
- Product Architect
- Understanding how customers use products and the issues they face
- Understanding cross-functional interaction between mechanical parts, electronics, fluids etc.
- Producing verifiable data to support design assumptions
- Understands the functionality of the components and ensures that design for manufacture complements their overall function and the function of the product
- Takes responsibility for mechanical designs, ensuring they can be manufactured consistently and perform consistently in the field
- Structured thinking with use of data to prove assumptions
- Captures and details work by way of written and verbal communication
- Team player with ability to negotiate and influence individuals and project teams
Qualifications and Experience
- Batchelors degree 2:1 or above in a recognised engineering discipline e.g. Mechanical / Industrial Design, Material science, Physics
- At least 5 years experience on products of similar complexity e.g. precision electro-mechanical, high reliability and industrial environments
- Fully conversant with
- Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
- Tolerance analysis (worst case and statistical)
- Material selection
- Fundamental stress and thermal analysis
- A structured approach to mechanical design (working with requirements, FMEAs, problem solving, material selection etc)
- Expert knowledge of solid component manufacturing techniques, including (but not limited to), injection moulding, machining (metals / plastics / ceramics), rapid prototyping (including SLA/SLS modelling)
Questor is acting as an employment agency in relation to this advert. Due to the effectiveness of online advertising and the response levels that it can generate, it is often impossible for us to respond to every applicant. As a professional company we gladly welcome applications from persons of any age and background and do not intend to discriminate with advert text and terminology.
To email us about this vacancy, please click here