Snr Mechanical Design Engineer
Ref: AH/ 2000229
Based in Cambridgeshire, our client is a world leader in industrial print systems development, and their technology is used worldwide in a wide range of print applications.
Purpose of Role
To work as part of the product development team with specific responsibility for mechanical and functional arcitecture.
The successful candidate will also be completing design work using 3D CAD. As such, for the position of Senior Mechanical System Design Engineer candidates should have experience of designing, modelling and assessing complex assemblies and have practical experience of designing for thermal and shock and vibration considerations.
- The primary responsibility is to maximize the performance of the function (Body & Layout) within its boundary conditions (examples of boundary condition: budget, resources, platform, schedule) and according to the knowledge and technical assets available and level of maturity of them
- Take active part in the architecture and integration processes. Member of the Platform or Product Architecture Team and Platform or Product Integration Team
- Align function deliverables with Program Schedule
- Accountable for the function level technical decisions
- Responsible for applying Common Processes adapted to the specifics of the program. In that context, should operate following the design guidelines that could eventually have been established for the product line in order to improve across program efficiency (examples: re-use, architecture and platform policies, established processes such as PLM, requirements management…)
- Understand the requirements, design mechanical elements and lead their development. Focal point for function requirements and issues
- Generate design concepts that deliver an enhanced user experience of the product for the mutual benefit of both user and business
- To be regarded by peers as a specialist whose knowledge can be trusted with a high degree of confidence
Key Internal Relationships
- Very strong relationship with all the members of the function (Mechanical / Test Engineers within R&D), the other System Engineers, and the Platform/Product Architect.
- Frequent interactions with Manufacturing Product / Process Engineering.
- Frequent interactions with business team members, mainly programme manager and marketing, and with R&D Functional Management.
- Understanding cross-functional interaction between mechanical parts, electronics, and fluids
- Producing verifiable data to support design assumptions
- Working with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Deadlines need to be agreed and held
- Understands the functionality of the components and ensures that design for manufacture complements their overall function and the function of the product
- Understands Design Margin (Six Sigma) processes and applies them
- Motivated by why and how things work initiating design improvements
- Structured thinking with use of data to prove assumptions
- Captures and details work by way of written and verbal communication
- Team player with ability to negotiate and influence individuals and project teams
- Creative, conceptual, strategic design thinker with system approach
- Understands the Product Life Management and the architecture processes
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD or Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- At least 10 years of experience on products of similar complexity e.g. precision electro-mechanical, high reliability and industrial environments
- Proven understanding of fundamental manufacturing processes
- Prototype and concept manufacture for test purposes.
Questor is acting as an employment agency in relation to this advert. Due to the effectiveness of online advertising and the response levels that it can generate, it is often impossible for us to respond to every applicant. As a professional company we gladly welcome applications from persons of any age and background and do not intend to discriminate with advert text and terminology.
To email us about this vacancy, please click here