Technical Operations Shift Engineer
Ref: AH/ 2000221
Salary: to £35K + 5% bonus + 20% shift allowance
The Technical Operations Shift Engineer role is a 2nd line diagnostics, fault management and service restoration role within the Service Assurance Team. Responsible for:
This position works a rotating shift pattern to ensure 24 x7 cover of the operations team. The shift hours are 08.00 – 20.30 and 20.00 to 08.30 (equates to 40.25 hour working week with 1 hour for lunch)
- Service restoration and fault resolution of Customer solutions from Easynet’s managed data and IP voice product portfolio. This includes MPLS VPN, IP Access and associated overlay services, such as Application Performance Management (APM), and IPSec VPN, delivered over xDSL, EFM (copper and fibre), Leased Line, 3G and ISDN access technologies.
- The technical environment includes Cisco CPE (routers and switches), OneAccess and Zhone CPE, Ipanema APM devices, Cisco and Ericsson Redback PEs, Lucent Stinger and Actelis DSLAMs.
- 2nd line technical support, diagnostics, fault management, and service restoration for cases raised but not resolved at the 1st line or Incident Management levels.
- Sharing expertise and knowledge with other areas of the business, and being involved in company projects and initiatives, as required.
- accurately identify & resolve customer issues at the first point of contact, where possible
- Ensure that emails / tickets are acknowledged and responded to within agreed timeframes,
- liaise with external suppliers and third parties and other in-house teams to resolve customer issues
- manage faults efficiently ensuring SLAs are identified and met by prioritising workload
- to respond to and fix or escalate faults as appropriate
- to respond to change control processes
- build and maintain trust relationships with clients
The individual would be expected to have good working experience and knowledge of the areas below and be able to give examples of how they have used these in practice.
- Solution ; MPLS VPN Solutions, Internet Access & IPSEC, Telepresence (Video & Voice)
- Products; ADSL, SHDSL; SDH, Dark Fibre, Ethernet, Ethernet over Copper, ISDN, 3G
- MPLS Networking in a backbone network environment
- BGP, TCP/IP, EIGRP, OSPF and other protocols
- ISP platforms: radius, TACACs, DNS, mail platforms
- Awareness of Internet security and abuse issues
- in-depth knowledge Cisco: ISR/16xx through 76xx to GSR and CRS-1
- working knowledge Cisco Catalyst Ethernet switches
- working knowledge Cisco/Foundry load balancers
- working knowledge Firewall products: Firewall 1, Checkpoint, Cisco, Juniper Netscreen
- working knowledge Console management switches and power switches
- Understanding of physical media (fibre, Cat 5, etc)
Operating Systems, Protocols & Other
- in-depth knowledge Cisco IOS
- L2TP, Pseudowires and other tunnelling technologies
- Basic understanding and use of Unix based systems
- OSPF, ISIS, BGP, HSRP, VRRP, MPLS, MPLS VPN, QoS configuration and testing
- Basic understanding of VoIP/IP Telephony/IPC
- Basic understanding of SDH/DWDM
- ITIL: Incident, Problem and Change Management process and procedures
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office packages
- Any scripting or programming knowledge a bonus
- Strong technical skills
- Strong business understanding of client/company relationships
- Ongoing understanding of new products and services
- logical and organised approach to problem solving.
- knowledge of both Cisco and ITIL process and procedures
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-motivated with a positive ‘can do’ attitude.
Cisco Qualifications desired, in order of preference:
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Professional (CCIP)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
ITIL Qualifications desired, in order of preference:
- ITIL V3 Intermediate Level
- Service Capability - Lifecycle Stream
- Operational Support & Analysis - Service Operation
- Release Control and Validation – Service Transition
- Service Design
- Planning Protection & Optimisation – Continual Service Improvement
- Service Offerings & Agreements – Service Strategy
- ITIL V2 Practitioner Level : Problem Management
- ITIL V3 Foundation Level
Questor is acting as an employment agency in relation to this advert. Due to the effectiveness of online advertising and the response levels that it can generate, it is often impossible for us to respond to every applicant. As a professional company we gladly welcome applications from persons of any age and background and do not intend to discriminate with advert text and terminology.
To email us about this vacancy, please click here